10 Tips on How to Get Amazing Action Cam Photos
Having a camera is helpful because you can use it to take photos and videos of important events. However, it is quite challenging to use a standard camera when you need to shoot images and videos of extreme adventures. You may need the type of camera which you can attach to the handlebars, helmets, or to any of your gears. If you need a camera to film underwater or while doing extreme sports, then you may opt for an action camera.
Creating Stunning Shots with your Action Camera
There are several features to consider when buying an action camera. One of these features is that your action camera should be High Definition (HD) as this can help you capture or record your travel experiences in better quality. Other features that you have to keep in mind are the number of megapixels and storage, especially if you are filming your journey for long periods of time. Moreover, if you are planning on recording water sports adventures like scuba diving, it is essential to ensure that your camera can handle the depth of the water.
Although your action camera may have all the features mentioned above, getting spectacular shots and footage will depend on how you will use it. To bring the best out of your action cam, you may refer to the following tips:
1. Capture in a bird or worm's view. In creating more appealing photos, you have to learn which view should be used. The bird's eye view is often considered for aerial photography or to anything that requires the perspective from above. This view can help you feature landscapes and showcase their beauty. On the other hand, the worm's view can be used to make the subject look more powerful. In shooting buildings, capturing from a low angle can make them look more towering.
2. Clean the lens. Since an action camera is used for outdoor activities, it can collect dust and dirt. You have to make sure that your camera has a clean lens before you take photos. If not followed, you may capture photos with dust spots or smudges. Take some time to clean your action cam's lens to have clear and sharp images.
3. Fix the settings. Before you take photos, you may need to adjust the settings manually to produce better shots. Doing so can prevent you from capturing pictures that are too overexposed or underexposed. However, most of the time, the best photos depend on the environment's lighting. If you are having difficulty in adjusting the camera settings, you may still stick with the automatic settings. One of the last options that you could take is to use colour-altering filters. These may help you improve the quality of your pictures.
4. Identify your subject. Shooting all the things that you can see in your surroundings may not be necessary. Try to determine your theme and focus on it. You also need to identify where to place your action cam for you to capture the most important part of the subject(s). For example, you are shooting a swimming competition. You have to know which location is the best one in setting up your camera. Should you place it at the start, in the middle, or at the finish line? Knowing the perfect area to shoot can help you, for instance, capture the facial expression of the swimmers, which can add emotion to your photos.
5. Increase your shutter speed. If you are taking photos of a fast-moving subject, the first thing that you need to adjust is the shutter speed. You may put your camera into Shutter Priority mode and opt for 1/500 shutter speed. It is quite enough to capture fast-pacing objects. However, keep in mind when increasing the shutter speed that you need to have proper lighting. Taking photographs in poor lighting conditions with a fast shutter speed can give you photos that are very dark. This can damage the quality of a possible good photo.
6. Keep additional batteries. If you are taking on a long trip and you need to document your journey, you may need extra batteries. Being prepared can help you use your camera for longer hours.
7. Make a test shoot. Before taking photos, it is essential to put your camera to the test. It can help you identify your camera’s condition. If you need to alter the camera settings, make sure that the changes have been applied.
8. Choose the continuous drive mode for more flexibility. Some photographers shoot in long bursts because they think that it can help them capture the best photo. Although it may be true to some individuals, it can fill your buffer up. To avoid it, you may opt for short bursts by turning your camera into continuous high drive mode. It can help you take photos as long as your finger is pressed on the release button.
9. Use a fast memory card. When you are travelling and you are taking a lot of photos, you may need a fast memory card. If the speed of your memory card is one of the main issues why your camera is slowing down, then you may consider using a fast one.
10. Use third-party accessories. When you are travelling or taking an adventure and you need to take some shots, you may use third-party accessories to prevent blurry photos. You can make use of the usual tripod if you are doing stationary shots. But for stabilizing shots in motion, you may prefer gimbals.
The innovation in cameras continuously helps photographers and aspirants to capture awesome photos even if the subject is moving fast. Action cameras have helped people document a lot of activities, even underwater. Applying the proper techniques in photography and with the help of third-party accessories, the quality of your images can improve greatly.